Although we enjoy many, not every day makes for the perfect beach day! Thankfully, there are plenty of adventures to be had in our area. We've put together a list of 10 fun things to do in Southwest Florida for those who want to get out to explore both indoors and out.
These off-island adventures include a variety of museums, music, botanical gardens, wildlife, and outdoor experiences.
Be it a rainy day, annoying red tide, or if you're simply looking to beat the heat, you're sure to find something in our beautiful area to suit your needs.
10 FUN THINGS TO DO IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA
- Naples Botanical Gardens - experience themed gardens that represent the culture and flora of the tropics. Be sure to check the calendar for extraordinary special events.
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates - enjoy 20 acres of historical buildings, historic gardens, the Edison Botanic Research Lab and the Edison Ford Museum. The newly restored buildings include the Edison Main House, Guest House, and Caretaker’s House and the Ford House. The 1929 historic landscape is throughout the property including the award winning Moonlight Garden. The Edison Ford Museum has hundreds of inventions, artifacts and special exhibits.
- Canoe Outpost Peace River - Come paddle with Canoe Outpost-Peace River and enjoy a quiet, peaceful float along Florida's most popular State Paddle Trail. The beautiful Peace River offers wildlife viewing, fishing, swimming, hiking trails, wilderness camping, fossil hunting, and of course, canoeing and kayaking.
- Bailey-Mathews National Shell Museum - The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum offers more than 30 permanent exhibits, as well as a small variety of temporary exhibits. Insights into many of the shells that have played vital roles in history, culture, art, design, and medicine included and an exquisite variety of exotic shells from around the world.
- Everglades Day Safari - a certified ecotour, led by a naturalist who guides guests into the Everglades and explores the four main ecosystems, including the pine savannas, cypress swamps, mangrove forests and sawgrass prairies. Enjoy an amazing airboat ride, a nature walk through ancient cypress, a mangrove wilderness boat tour in Everglades National Park, a wildlife drive through Big Cypress National Preserve and a delicious southern lunch!
- South Florida Museum - Largest Natural & Cultural History Museum On Florida's Gulf Coast - includes the Bishop Planetarium & the Parker Manatee Rehabilitation Aquarium.
- Ringling Museum of Art - 31 galleries filled with works of antiquities, old masters and modern visionaries, the Ringling Museum is a jewel set on Sarasota’s beautiful Bayfront.
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium - Explore the secrets of the sea through touch pools, viewable-working labs and high-tech interactive exhibits that showcase the world-renowned research of Mote Marine Laboratory. See sharks, manatees and sea turtles, along with more than 100 other species of marine life.
- Marie Selby Botanical Gardens - A tropical, urban oasis featuring unparalleled horticulture displays and a Sarasota bay-front setting, Marie Selby Botanical Gardens is a living museum and world-class center for education, research and conservation.
- Historic Spanish Point - Explore, embrace, learn and grow. Let your adventure begin at the point! HSP University – lecture series to grow education & preservation. Explore old Florida at the point with programming fun for the entire family.
Things to do Bonus
I know, I know - we said 10 fun things to do in Southwest Florida, but we had to throw in this special theatrical bonus. It includes loads of everything theatre and musical in the Sarasota area!
*Bonus: Sarasota Theatre - Your guide to find Broadway Shows, Musicals, Plays and Concerts.
Search the MLS
Feel free to search the Multiple Listing System to look for a year-round residence or winter home in our unique area. Be sure to contact me for details and listings or information that may not be listed.